Thursday 2 May 2013

Fifty Shades of Grey

So I went to the mall a few days ago and bought some books.

Mostly for kids, who likely won't read them.

Yesterday I started reading again after months.

I was rummaging my bookshelf for books to send to my sister, and realised I hadn't completed Fifty Shades of Grey. Who wouldn't finish reading a book full of sex?

I had started reading it and stopped. Started again after a few months and stopped at the same place. I decided it needed a rest.

At the bookstore recently I noticed the sequels and wondered if I should have been picking them. I settled for a book on grammar.

Now I feel Fifty Shades of Grey and its sisters have a better chance of a cursory reading than The McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage. I'm not sure how the Economist Style Guide would have fared in the midst of all this.

                                           ****** 

Addendum (28 July 2022)

A few years after buying the book, I changed jobs and mentioned to a work friend that I'd started reading this book twice and it was clear I was not (probably never) going to finish it.

"It's just great! What's wrong with it? "

"I hate that the woman's a doormat and letting this guy do these things to her. Why is she going along with it?"

"Nonsense. The guy is so sexy." I should have asked my friend what she liked about it. She looked like her mouth was watering, and she'd swoon -  right there in the train station, while waiting for the 7.36pm Ladies Special. So I believed she liked it. I like broody silent guys in romance novels too... Colin Firth types, and Jamie Dornan, but... "Go back and read it again. Properly! You'll see." She flicked her fingers at me like I had to move out of her way, hurry back to the book, and take up where I couldn't get past.

I watched as she grabbed the pole of a bogey of the moving train and jumped in, effectively ending our conversation.

                                           ****** 

#jamiedornan #colinfirth #romancenovels #ladiesspecialwesternrailways #fiftyshadesofgreyfilm #mumbaitrains #fiftyshadesofgrey #sexy #sex #grey #love #crazylove #loveinmumbai #mcgrawhillhandbookofenglishgrammar #englishgrammar #nonfiction #personalessay #mumbaicommute #thethingsfriendssay
                

No comments:

Post a Comment