Sunday 9 December 2018

Fishy Chronicles 8: Mousetrap, The Play

Ticket for the play (Photo by A. Peter)
Weeks ago, soon after our supposed rapprochement, Fish called me to say they wanted to go for a play.

“It’s only the best and longest running ever!” Dimitri said.

“So I’ve heard. Tickets probably all sold out. Besides, they play only in London.” That wasn't true. The entire troupe would be in Mumbai soon, with Agatha monitoring them from above.

There was silence at the other end. I asked, “Are you lovelies gnashing your itsy bitsy teeth? The play is only for hoity toity SoBo Mumbaikars.”

“Or just discerning theatre lovers. You selectively forgot them.”

“Indeedy, I did.”

“Well?” Portas came on the line. He was a muscled fish that I had rescued from a public acquarium. Fish had told me he was in danger of dying and we had mounted a kidnap plan. Turned out Portas was an old buddy of theirs and I had needlessly perpetrated a crime.

“Well, what?” I said.

“Would you like to go with us?”

“Really?” I was thrilled. I hadn’t been able to get anyone to go with me... and then I saw how much the tickets cost. The cheapest had been sold out.

“Yes. We thought it’d be good to enjoy a day out. What say?”

“Yes.”

****** 

Fish took care of the logistics.

Apparently Garl, their current benefactor, had had a word with someone at the theatre and we were allowed in without a fuss. Plus, said benefactor had organised the best seats in the house. We sat a seat away from Simone Tata.

“You don’t want to sit right next to the big bigshots,” Gregory whispered when I hefted the tank into the seat next to mine. I needn’t have worried. No one gave us a second look. Apparently it is de rigeur for fish and mosquitos to attend plays.

“Did you know that the first play was staged in 1952 and had Richard Attenborough in the main role?” Dimitri splashed a little water at me to catch my attention. There were many famous people in the theatre. But I thought I saw Genie too.

“You’re imagining things. He's enjoying winter in Yorkshire,” Gregory said, staring in the direction I was. “Besides, he would have told us.”

“He likes to wear flimsy clothes, remember?Yorkshire would be too cold for him.” That wasn't quite true. Genie loved winters, and the colder it was the better. I’d seen him wear a threadbare muffler, a thin t-shirt and march into the snow in Kashmir. I thought he was the original stud. And unattainable. And considering he had money, I didn’t understand why he didn’t wear better clothes.

Norbert buzzed around me. “Please don’t bite anyone, Nobby. You may get hurt. I may get thrown out if I attempt to find you in a darkened hall.”

“Relax, my darling. It was an excellent idea having my dinner here. What exotic fare to be had. For sure, my nourishment will be top notch. Wheeee!” Nobby screamed in my ear and disappeared. My heart palpitated and the play started.

Fish fidgeted. They whispered and fussed and jostled each other for a better view. And then settled down. We discussed it and couldn’t remember if we’d read this book. Was it a book at all?

“No,” Gregory said, “It’s a play. And it’s not been published or the end is supposed to be hush hush, or some such. The worst part is that Wikipedia gives away the plot entirely, even though the cast will ask the audience to keep the end a secret.”

“You know the end?”

Gregory looked sheepish. “I read up on the play. Didn't want to come unprepared.”

“You should chill, Greg. It’s okay if you don’t read the review and plot beforehand.”

Gregory gasped. “Heresy!”

“In fact you should ask if you can replace any of the cast when they’re ill or want a break. You’d do well. You'd love it.”

Fish turned their backs on me. But I was not troubled at all. The play picked up speed and I nudged the fish tank. “You're missing stuff. Watch the play!”

Soon we were standing and clapping. Fish tossed water about and screamed and whistled and people glared at us.

When the crowd started moving towards the exit, I waved at a couple of people I knew, but suddenly I saw Nobby flying towards me. “Run, run, run!” he screamed into my ear and hid in my collar.

I quickly got the Fish into my pushcart and charged out. We shoved a youngster out of the way and almost crashed down the stairs. An older man grabbed the tank and held it steady. I yelled a thankyou at him and ran down the narrow path until I saw a small corner hidden from view.

We waited till the crowd thinned – but not before I saw my ex and his wife. I dragged in my breath and tried to slow my heart.

When we were seated on Marine Drive, I asked Nobby what happened.

“I was having a good meal and kept getting swatted about. I heard someone call for an usher -- complaining that there were mosquitos -- and then I saw Rohit and his latest squeeze.”

“They’re married now,” I mumbled, the familiar feelings of rejection and humiliation bubbling up. Rohit Chawla had been my boyfriend for many years until one day he moved out and took up with Nikita. I realised later that much planning had gone into it.

I shook the hopeless thoughts away. “So what happened, Nobby?”

“I bit ever inch of his bare flesh and of that she devil!”

I stared at my little friend – he looked defiant and angry. He had the biggest, bravest, most loving heart in the world beating in his tiny body.

I tried to find words. Finally I heard Dimitri clear his throat, “Rohit deserved it. You did good, Nobby!” And with that Fish somersaulted in their tank and laughed. They popped out of the tank and blew raspberries at every Rohit Chawla lookalike walking by the sea in the dimming evening light.

Suddenly things felt good. Nobby cuddled my neck and we let the cool, strong, smelly wind of the Arabian Sea wash over us. Yes, I was definitely looking forward to the next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment